Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'll Have Poppyseeds in My Teeth Until July

Recently someone has been painting a mural on the side of the building next to ours. It's a nice sight to come home to every day.


See the little "house" sitting on top of our building? That's where our landlords live. They also own the wine shop, restaurant, and bar that are all part of the building. They have an elevator that takes them up to their house (unlike us - we hike the 5 flights every day) and a patio above our apartment. It seems like a really nice way to live. Not that I'm complaining. Here's my pretty bike:


I spent last weekend in Oberlin for my 5th college reunion. It was technically my 4th - they do these things in clusters, which is nice because you get to see people from other classes, too.


It was completely wonderful; I think I felt even more myself and at home there than I did when I was actually a student. I've kept some strong bonds; and others I was able to pick up right where we left off.



More photos here from Oberlin.

........

Remember the poppyseed cake Matt's grandma made? The one I rave about all the time? Here, I'll refresh your memory.


Well, my lovely significant other slaved away until 2am last night (most of it, I have to tell you, spent on the phone with his grandma for culinary support) making his own makowiec (pronounced, I think "mah-KOH-vitz"). I awoke this morning to a finger full of icing to taste.





It may be a ploy to get me to not go away so much. It may work.

(Note: I think he would want me to tell you that this is the less pretty of the two rolls he made; the other, which is beautiful, is for some good friends of ours who are leaving and who have fed us well over our friendship.)

No comments: